Monday, December 7, 2009

Why I will never own a Kindle

The only reason anyone should buy a Kindle is if they are jet-setting around the globe and can't bear the weight of multiple books in their luggage.  All of us normal people who only fly once or twice a year have no excuse.  Why purchase a device that costs a couple of hundred dollars if it forces you to spend around ten bucks for every book you want to read?  

I cherish each book in my house.  I find immense satisfaction in placing a book on a shelf as if I'm tucking away an old friend.  I read books over and over until the characters and places are so real to me that I dream about them.

This blog is inspired by the heavenly children's bookshop in the film "You've Got Mail," a remake of the 1940's Jimmy Stewart film.  The movie celebrates life, love and of course, books.  The following is my favorite quote from the script:

"When you read a book as a child it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your life does." -- Kathleen, played by Meg Ryan.

Really, each book I own is a part of my identity.  
I'm currently reading The Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Yang and Pierre Rigoulot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!