Wednesday, February 16, 2011

where is your treasure?

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21


I struggle with this verse. As a daughter of God who loves her Father, I desperately want to obey Him and store up treasures in heaven. As a wife, daughter, sister, friend, and lover of books/fashion/home decor/etc... I also delight in my earthly treasures. It's hard for me to find the line within my heart that separates my selfish desires from my genuine joy and delight in the Lord when it comes to those things I've listed above (earthly treasures). Does that make any sense? For example-- my books. If I view anything in my life as a tangible treasure (not including people), I think of my books. I would be heartbroken if anything happened to them. Most of them were gifts or cost me less than $5 (Green Valley Book Fair, holler), but they are still precious to me. Anyone who knows me well would say that my love for reading comes from God. My parents never had to pay me a dime to read a book (if they did I would be rich). I devoured books as a child, and I still do when I have a good chunk of time.


I don't believe it bothers God that I love to read or that I love my library. In fact, I think it brings Him joy. BUT, by buying books and lining bookshelves with them, how am I not storing up treasures on earth? In fact, translated in the Greek, the verse is really saying "Don't accumulate / heap up treasures" (as in stockpile). I do accumulate books. My love for books is within my heart! I can't deny that. And not to at all take the spotlight off of myself, but I don't think I know a single person who isn't homeless who doesn't have knick-knacks or gadgets or something that they own more than one of.


OK-- I know it's all about the condition of our heart and where our priorities lie. I know that it would be bad if I were buying books to look smart. It wouldn't be right to spend my whole life reading and not spending time with God and family and working. I guess the struggle for me is that  this passage doesn't include the middle ground of having treasures on earth AND in heaven.


Later in chapter 6 the Word tells us we cannot love both God and money (which, if you look up in the Greek, translates to treasures/riches/wealth). At Bible study last night we talked about how to make wise decisions concerning our income and how we can do so in a way that is accordance with scripture. 


I'll admit something- there's quite a list of things I want for our house right now. We legit NEED a new shade or curtain for our guest room because the shades broke and too many overnight guests have had to change in the bathroom... but that isn't the end of the world. I want:: more frames, linens, lipsticks (lame, I know)... while I can't think of anything else right now I know there's a much longer list than that! It's easy for me to get carried away when I'm shopping, especially when the items I'm buying aren't expensive. The thing is, stuff always adds up. It stinks. 


While Andy and I do work, have a budget, tithe and pray about big purchases, I want to do more than that. I want to ask God about little purchases too. I want to align my heart to His will. I want to find more delight in what's in store for me after death than what I have here on earth. 


What treasures on earth are you holding on to?



No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!