Monday, January 17, 2011

first proust, then famous people, now me.

"country lane with trees" by van gogh


  • What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
      separation from God
  • Where would you like to live?
      before kids: a big city. during my children's upbringing: a suburb. retirement: English countryside. but really, anywhere with my man and near family. 
  • What is your idea of earthly happiness?
      an accepting family. intimate friendships. affection. an immense library. the smell of bread, the smell of coffee brewing. waking up next to the man I love. mountains, lakes, sunshine, snow, the ocean, leaves changing color...
  • To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
      laziness
  • Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?
      I adore historical fiction. Real people, real events...portrayed by an outsider, or maybe someone who was there but still must call their book fiction.
  • Who are your favorite characters in history?
      Abraham, Esther, Ruth, Jesus, Paul, Queen Elizabeth, Washington, Adams, Lincoln, Grant, Lee, Roosevelt, Kennedy family, Paul Rusesabagina, my ancestors
  • Who are your favorite heroines in real life?
      My mother. my sister. my best friends
  • Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
      real women- Alexandra Fuller, Jeannette Walls, Lauren Winner
  • Your favorite painter?
       Van Gogh. 
  • Your favorite musician?
      Yann Tiersen (ooo but I adore George Winston too)
  • The quality you most admire in a man?
      integrity
  • The quality you most admire in a woman?
      generosity (a servant heart)
  • Your favorite virtue?
      compassion
  • Your favorite occupation?
      reading (well, let's be honest- it's probably snuggling)
  • Who would you have liked to be?  
  •         "I could have been a great many things." - Little Women
(I can't get rid of that annoying last bullet)
I didn't let myself read Proust's answers b/c I did not want them to affect what I wrote. His idea of happiness is so similar to mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!