Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Party!

I had wanted to throw a Christmas party since our first year of marriage and I decided earlier this month I've got to make it happen! So I did.

The vision: Festive decor, low-key atmosphere and a simple menu

The invite: I used pingg.com and after a long deliberation I chose this template. Six out of the eight couples we invited were able to come and I hired two girls from the neighborhood to watch the little ones in our basement.
The menu: 
Dinner
Bbq/mayo/brown sugar dip for smokies
Cranberry-covered goat cheese roll from Trader Joe's
Sausage and cheese balls (brought by friend)
Cucumbers, carrots and celery sticks (brought by friend)
Chips
Crackers

Dessert
Coffee and hot chocolate
Brownies cut into stars and Christmas trees w/ cookie cutters
Maple leaf cookies from Trader Joe's
Cake pops (unexpectedly brought by the babysitters)

I bought green and red colored candy from the bulk section at Martin's
to set out with peanuts for easy snacking throughout the party.
This menu was incredibly easy to prepare and everything
turned out perfectly.


The decor: 
My Santa from Kohls is extra cute
inside the berry wreath


the tiniest manger scene ever
-they're all ornaments-




I fell in love with this little guy at first sight.
He was $4 at an antique mall in KY.
I think he and my grandmother's chair
belong together.





ornaments hanging from my shutters, chandelier and curtain rod







I meant to take a pic before the food was consumed...
oops! I used a card table for the dip, cheese, chips
and crackers. I had the smokies, sausage balls and desserts
set up in the kitchen. 
The party itself:  I decided to leave our dining room table free to create more space to eat. We started dinner at 6:30 with the girls eating at the table and the guys eating in the living room. At 7:30 everyone gathered together for two rounds of The Newlywed Game, hosted by our friend Matt (he played the theme song on his ipod... he's our church's resident game show host for a reason). At 8:30 our guests w/ kids headed out and those remaining stayed to play Screw Your Neighbor (not what it sounds like).

The best part? No stress. It was amazing. Somehow I managed to get the whole house sparkling (minus our bedroom) and prepare for the party in barely a day's time. AND I didn't cough or blow my nose once during the party. Now that is success.

1 comment:

  1. we had a lot of fun :) thanks for inviting us! hope to get together again soon... maybe with our little guy at home!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading!