Thursday, December 6, 2012

crockpot chicken and veggie soup

Andy and I are doing the P90x diet, which breaks your food items into groups like "carbs," "protein," "fats," etc. Regardless of what phase of the diet you're doing, you're supposed to get several servings of protein and veggies and at least one serving of carbs. I love the ease of the crockpot and decided to create a one-pot meal that would include all of the yummy foods that are good for mah belly. I also only used one knife and one cutting board, so clean-up was super easy.

Crockpot chicken and veggie soup
put the following into a large crockpot:
1 cup of the following veggies, chopped: celery, onion, zucchini, carrots
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups fresh green beans, chopped
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I used the Italian-style kind)
3 chicken breasts, diced and seasoned with oregano and salt and pepper
roughly 36 oz low sodium chicken stock
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
to add later:
1 cup instant brown rice (or 1 cup of cooked pasta)
1 large bag of spinach, chopped

I did all of the prep work last night so that I could toss everything into the crockpot before work this morning. I set it on low for 8ish hours and added the instant rice 20 minutes before serving. I added the spinach at the last minute. I was surprised by how flavorful the soup was considering I hardly used any seasoning. We both loved it. Most of the soups I make are naughty, cream-filled soups, so I'm thrilled to add a super healthful soup to my repertoire!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!