Monday, March 12, 2012

apwoyo matek, Baba

apwoyo matek (pronounced afoy-oh ma-teck) is Acholi for "thank you very much." baba means father.


children of the Imani women (photo by Allison Stefancin)
As I'm writing this post, it's around 9:30 p.m. in Uganda. If I were still there I would be at a restaurant waiting for dinner with the eleven other members of "The A Team." I'd be passing my packet of baby wipes around the table and we'd all be making faces at the amount of dirt that has clung to our hands and burrowed under our fingernails. I'd probably be resting my head against someones shoulder and gently scratching their back, reflecting on the day and expressing silent gratitude for this evening communion.

I think I know a little of what the apostle John was experiencing when he was writing letters to his brothers and sisters in Christ. "I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete (2nd John 1:12)."


I have much to write to you. I came home carrying 75 pounds of luggage and a treasure chest of stories - stories of friendship, joy, hope, humility, faith, love, forgiveness and redemption. I wish I could tell all my stories to you in person, but many of you are across the state, across the country or over the ocean. This coming week I'll be posting about the trip at least once a day, filling you in on what I saw, ate, did, prayed, etc. I hope you'll be encouraged and inspired by my words, and even more than that I hope that your heart will be overwhelmed by the goodness of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!