Wednesday, January 25, 2012

side reads

got a few minutes? I promise you'll enjoy these:

This short story about a husband and wife and a creative writing class gave me chills. Even though Maya is a fictional character, I can't stop thinking about the second story she wrote.

Do you salivate or cringe when you see commercials for the KFC bowl? I salivate. Comedian Patton Oswald shares his thoughts on the bowl here (so well-written!) for example:
"It [the bowl] sat on the passenger seat next to me like a sullen runaway I'd picked up on the interstate..." "The Famous Bowl hit my mouth like warm soda, slouched down my throat, and splayed itself across my stomach like a sun-stroked wino."

Have you ever had a really bad day and you wished there was a self-help book that would address your specific problems? This girl had the same dilemma. Prepare to LOL. (the third from the bottom is the one I relate to the most)

I was crushed when Laskas discontinued writing a column for the Washington Post Magazine. I've been slowly picking my way through her column archives, and this one stood out to me. If you've ever had a dear friend move away (I've had too many to list here), or if YOU'VE been the one to move, you'll relate to this bittersweet story.


for more snippets from around the web, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!