Friday, March 11, 2011

children's books

Children's books are magical. I get just as captivated and content in the children's section as any other section of a bookstore. When I nannied, I always tried to be in control of what I read the kids. I had strong opinions about which books were best! (Don't worry, I was a nice nanny.)
Here are some of the ones I read over and over as a child.

"Eloise" by Kay Thompson
This is a book every little girl should own. Eloise is an imaginative six-year-old who lives
in the Plaza Hotel in NYC. There's an entire "Eloise" series, but the first book is my favorite.
 It's a LONG children's book and kept me
occupied for long lengths of time. Eloise is strange and fascinating. Really, who else
would think to braid a turtle's ears? 
My Grandma Jean took me to the Plaza when I was in middle school and gave me
her copy of Eloise to keep for my own. It is red and tattered like the one in the picture above,
and I treasure it much more than my own (newer) Eloise book.


"Noisy Nora" by Rosemary Wells
Wells is known for her "Max and Ruby" series (which I also love), but this book
was the most popular Wells book in our house. It's about a middle child who
desperately seeks the attention of her mom and dad. The happy ending last line,
"But I'm back again! cried Nora, with a monumental crash" was often recited
at our house when I was growing up.

"Madeline" by Ludwig Bemelmans
 "In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines ..."
I had the pop-up Madeline, and I looooved the page where Madeline was
in the hospital with appendicitis. What young reader doesn't enjoy a deliciously
naughty character?

"The Berenstain Bears No Girls Allowed" by Stan and Jan Berenstain
This is one book on my list of favorite Berenstain's... really, they're all amazing.
I was fascinated by the inner workings of the forts and got hungry
every time I read about the snacks Mama and Papa Bear made for Sister and her friends.

"Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein
This book will turn any child's frown upside down. Silverstein makes bedtime
a delight for both the reader and the one being read to.


"I Was So Mad" by Mercer Mayer
Poor Little Critter. You can't put frogs in the bathtub.

"Corduroy" by Don Freeman
I thought the little girl in this book was the prettiest little girl
ever.

"Frog and Toad Are Friends" by Arnold Lobel
What a wonderful book. I think my favorite short story was
the one where they were looking for a missing button.
I want to read it again. 

I want to read all of these again!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!