Saturday, October 16, 2010

family treasures


You may remember me stressing about the pieces of furniture I was receiving from my grandma Jean before she passed away. I didn't know where they would go or how they would look against my color palette. I couldn't refuse them, though- these are gorgeous pieces that have been used by my family for years. They just need a little TLC. 

My parents brought the furniture down a few weeks ago and the biggest challenge for me was moving everything from my old dining room cabinets to my new china cabinet.



good light makes a huge difference!
I still plan on staining the wood
to bring it back to its full glory
photo from Little Green Notebook
one of my new dining room chairs!
Fauteuil chairs have such an amazing shape
and are super comfortable. Not sure
how long I'll keep the color- esp since my set
show some wear on the seat.
precious! this is one of 2.
my mom discovered 2 more w/ arms
that I'll be receiving soon.
I'm not changing anything about these!
love those legs! the table has 2 leaves and can seat 12.
ohmygosh I am so in love with this bureau.
I'm pretty sure it's meant for a dining room because
the top drawer is extremely shallow
and is lined in velvet (for silverware?)
please ignore the cardboard, spray paint and dog tail.
this is our beloved chaise. hi chaise.
we covered it with a huge knit throw b/c the bright green
and yellow fabric underneath screams GRANDMA JEAN!
this is an antique leather-top desk from
my other grandma. I'm using one of the white
chairs (4 pics up) with the desk and they
complement each other well.
I can't wait to spray paint/reupholster the
heck out of these chairs. hopefully I
will not ruin them- they are way too
awesome.

and no, I STILL haven't painted our hall table. BUT I did tackle one of my 3 ridiculously ugly brass lamps yesterday. I forgot to take before pictures :( so you'll have to imagine how awful the rusted brass looked like. I sanded, primed and spray painted the first lamp. I used a dark gray paint and I'm not sure how I feel about the result. It's a bit too industrial looking for me. I love how the paint transformed the lamp, but I think I may re-do it in a different color.

I'm not sure gray is my color. What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. OMIGOD Laura you have MORE than potential here. I love all these pieces, especially the Gustavian bureau and china cabinet. If you need spray paint/fixer upper inspiration, I always find Eddie Ross (http://www.eddieross.com) very motivating. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading!