Sunday, July 25, 2010

homemade pizza rolls


sliced stromboli
My friend Leah gave me her pizza dough recipe and I used it last weekend to make individual pepperoni rolls to take on my trip. The rolls lasted all week and were amazing reheated in the hotel microwave. I used the same dough to make ground beef and pepperoni strombolis for Andy to eat while I was away.




dough:
1 c warm water, 1 pkg dry yeast, 1 tsp sugar
2 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 TB olive oil 
1 TB olive oil for drizzling
filling:
pepperoni and shredded cheese for center (I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar)
(you could also include a small spoonful of onions and peppers)

Mix yeast, sugar and water; dissolve; rest 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and olive oil and knead a little bit until it's not sticky. If your dough is still sticky after kneading, try kneading in small amounts of flour. Drizzle remaining tablespoon of olive oil over dough. Place in a bowl and cover. Let rise for 30-45 minutes. Punch the dough and pull off fistful sized amounts. Roll each mound into a flattened rectangle. In the middle of each rectangle place a sprinkle of shredded cheese, 4 pepperoni slices and another sprinkle of cheese. Bring sides and ends of rectangle together and fold them over. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Continue with each fistful of dough. Brush egg wash over the top of each roll. Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes, or wrap individually and freeze. 

Egg wash:
combine 1 egg, 1/8 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder (I used a 1/2 tsp of each but wished I had done more- will at least do a tsp of each and maybe a tablespoon of oregano)
----
I'm planning on using this dough to make garlic and parmesan breadsticks on Wednesday when I make shrimp and sausage pasta with cream sauce. My mouth is already watering. This week's menu only consists of two meals because we eat at Bible study on Tuesdays and I'm going out of town on Friday. I'm making baked salmon with fresh green beans and mashed cauliflower tomorrow night and the pasta dish will hopefully last us for Weds and Thursday. I'm looking forward to being back in the kitchen!  

2 comments:

  1. pepperoni rolls seem like the perfect meal to eat quickly on a trip. When I travelled to Argentina, I always wanted to eat something fast because we had a lot of places to visit, and I had some rolls with my just in case. We stopped by our buenos aires apartments and prepared it in a really fast way!
    Cheers,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading!