Monday, February 18, 2013

when worry strikes

JDC 
I called on the name of the Lord over and over this weekend. Oh, Jesus. Please, Jesus. Hear me, Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7 is a passage that I often call to mind, but I think I must have quoted it multiple times each hour last Wednesday. I had painful cramps all day and eventually called my doctor's office in the evening. The doctor suggested I do my best to not worry or go to to the ER, but instead to rest and call her the next day if I felt the need to schedule an appointment. I burst into tears after hanging up the phone because I was so relieved to hear her sound completely calm about the situation. The next morning I did wake up with cramps, but I prayed, petitioned, and gave thanks, and I felt confident that God would give me the ability to continually choose peace over anxiety. I had a restful morning and was able to focus my attention on rejoicing over the coming weekend with my family. My brother and his wife Sky are in the States for a few weeks (they live in Korea), so it was truly a joyous occasion.

My mom told me that after talking on the phone with on Wednesday she quickly notified several friends and that she woke up to multiple emails on Thursday from people asking about how I was doing and sending their prayers. One friend said she couldn't sleep at all and prayed for me the entire night. It makes me cry just thinking about it. How cool is it to think that there was a network of believers petitioning God to keep my baby safe and relieve me of pain? I am blessed.

I'm still cramping, but at this point I know that at least some of it is due to gas. (Ew.) I have my second appointment on Thursday and we're both praying hard that everything will be as it should and that the cramping is simply a symptom and not a sign.

I don't write this to say look at me, I'm cured of worry! because that's not true. I wish to chronicle the triumphs and struggles that I'm going through because once I have a screaming child in my arms I might not be able to remember all these things. I want to remember these special/painful times with the Lord, and to testify to His faithfulness. I also write to encourage you to lean on the Lord and on your friends for strength and encouragement when you find yourself stricken with worry or fear.

or, you can do this... though I don't recommend it!

"Do not be calm about anything, but in everything, by dwelling on it constantly and feeling picked on by God, with thoughts like 'and this is the thanks I get' present your aggravations to everyone you know but Him. And the acid in your stomach, which transcends all milk products, will cause you an ulcer, and the doctor bills will cause you a heart attack and you will lose your mind."
-Beth Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!