Thursday, September 9, 2010

lots of flavor, no guilt.

Andy and I are trying to eat dinners that are 500 calories or less, with half of our plate filled with veggies, a quarter with protein and the remaining quarter with a starch. We made two dinners from a package of 4 turkey cutlets, one package of steamed broccoli, one package of boil-in-a-bag whole grain rice, 1/4 onion, two bell peppers and 3 shallots.

Last night I lightly floured each turkey cutlet and seasoned them with salt, pepper, parsley and basil. I chopped the 1/4 onion we had in the fridge, threw it in a pan with olive oil, a bit of refrigerated garlic and a little splash of lemon juice over medium heat and added the turkey cutlets. I cooked the cutlets for about 5 minutes on each side. Normally I use this recipe for turkey cutlets, which has you cook them on med-high for 3 min/side. It's a fabulous recipe, but higher in calories.

Tonight I didn't have an onion to work with, so I sauteed one yellow bell pepper and one orange in olive oil with three chopped shallots and a bit of garlic. I microwaved the leftover cutlets, broccoli and rice.

According to the website I use, sparkpeople.com, here is the caloric content of our meal tonight:
1 Shady Brook Farm Turkey Cutlet: 110
1 tbsp flour (for one cutlet): 50ish (hard to find a common number)
1/2 cup Success Boil in a Bag Whole Grain Rice: 45
1/2 Tbsp butter: 50
1 tbsp olive oil: 119
1 cup bell pepper: 25
1/2 cup broccoli: 27

=426 calories
cheap AND healthy AND delicious AND filling. booyah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!