Sunday, May 9, 2010

mommy, guess what I did?

I read 3 books in the last week and a half, which means my eyes have glazed over in a drunken, happy stupor. It took me a week to read Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, one afternoon to read The Return Letter (a book of short stories by Maeve Binchy) and two days to read It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I had a Baby, a Breakdown and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong.

Memoirs of a Geisha was a beautiful book that I don't regret picking up, but I didn't love it. I needed to put it down every few chapters, and I prefer a book that has to be pried from my fingers.

The Return Letter was funny, sad, sweet and comforting. I'm adding it to the other books of short stories that I take on vacation year after year.

It Sucked and Then I Cried was like one long blog post on Armstrong's blog, dooce.com, which I've mentioned before and love love love. If you read it, which I suggest you do, prepare yourself to both laugh and shudder at the truths about pregnancy, birth and life after baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!