Wednesday, March 24, 2010

letting go

I've been asked a few times recently how my budget challenge is going. Uhh. It's not. It never really got going in the first place.

It's so much easier to ask Andy to pick up a few things here since he works at Martins. There have been weeks where I haven't set foot in a grocery store. After we cancelled our Sunday paper in January, I didn't have coupon-ing to keep me inspired. I realized that the budget challenge just wasn't at the top of my priority list.

With the big move coming up I've been going through some things in effort to avoid bringing unwanted/unused items to our new home. I threw out high school papers, almost empty bottles of shampoo and lotion from my early college years, tons of old mascara, makeup encrusted bobby pins and SMAD 101 flash-cards. I found lots of brand new toothpaste, shampoo, cotton rounds, razors and shaving cream.

While I'm at it, I'm throwing away the budget challenge and hoping to find success in a new method of saving instead. I've decided to become the primary grocery shopper and shop for specific meals, particularly ones where leftovers turn into a new meal for the next day. I want to challenge myself in the kitchen. I haven't cooked consistently since last summer. One of the reasons I looked for a different nannying job was because I missed being home in time to make a meal.

Our moving goal is to be sleeping in our new house the night of April 6th. Until then, we're hoping our only groceries will be bread, milk and fruit. Maybe cheese. We do eat a lot of cheese.

It's midnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!