Sunday, May 25, 2014

At-home Crunchwrap Supreme

HOW HAVE I NOT MADE THESE UNTIL TODAY?

It’s really embarrassing how often I’ve thought of crunchwrap supremes from Taco Bell during this pregnancy. If I got one every time I thought of one…well…I’d probably deliver a baby covered in nacho cheese. LOL ew!!!

Anyway, I had a lightbulb moment the other day when it occurred to me that I can make a crunchwrap at home. DUH. I did some web searching and it turns out there are other crunchwrap lovers who had the smarts to try it years ago. The ingredients are obvious, but I thought it would be helpful for you to know exactly what I did/bought. If you can’t find tostadas, you could break taco shells in half and make two rounds or buy the “crispy rounds” chips by Tostitos. Some of the recipes I found said their large tortillas weren’t big enough to wrap around the tostada shell. Mine worked fine and looked exactly like the picture below.

from blessthisfood.blogspot.com

At-home Crunchwrap Supreme
makes 6 (one was enough for me, Andy ate two)
takes around 20 minutes

1 lb ground beef or a little more (mine was 1.18 lbs, and I bought 85/15)
1 package of large flour tortillas (I bought store brand because they were the cheapest)
1 package of tostada shells (I used La Casona brand from the international aisle)
1 can of nacho cheese (I used regular el Rio that I found in the international aisle)
1 packet taco seasoning (I usually get whatever is on sale and is low sodium. This time I used Ortega.)
chopped lettuce
sour cream
tomatoes (though I didn’t use any)

1. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning (following directions on packet).
2. Pour some nacho cheese into a small saucepan and heat over low, stirring now and then. (You can also heat the cheese in the microwave. You only need 1-2 Tbsp per wrap.)
3. While the beef is cooking and cheese is warming, set up your other ingredients for easy assembly.
4. Spoon several spoonfuls of cooked taco meat into the center of a large tortilla. Spoon some nacho cheese over the meat.
5. Top the cheesy taco meat with a tostada, then top the tostada with sour cream, tomatoes and lettuce.
6. Fold the tortilla over the tostada. I pulled from left to center and then right to center, and then had to fold twice along the top and bottom. If that doesn’t make sense…just try to imitate the pic above. :)
7. Once your crunchwraps are assembled, place a nonstick skillet over medium heat until the pan is nice and hot.
8. Carefully place your crunchwraps seam side down in the skillet. At least two will fit in a large pan, if not more.
9. After a minute or so, use a spatula to carefully lift up the crunchwrap. It should be browned but not super dark. If it looks ready to flip, turn it over and heat the other side for about a minute. Adjust heat if you’re having problems—cooking mine over medium heat was perfect.

You’re gonna love ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!